Agency: Delaware State University
Location: Dover DE
Industry: Protective Service
Occupational Category: Law Enforcement
# of openings:2
Function of Job:
Under limited supervision, performs patrol work and investigations. The principal emphasis is on enforcing the laws of the State of Delaware, City of Dover and University rules and regulations; investigating crimes, traffic accidents and other safety-related matters and taking corrective and/or enforcement action as required; independent judgment is required in interpreting University policy in accordance with established laws, regulations and procedures, requires the exercise of tactful and assertive interpersonal communication skills.
1. Patrols the campus, either on foot or by vehicle, to insure the security of facilities and the safety of students, staff and visitors; prevents and deters crime by observations and confrontation, documentation and intervention of unusual circumstances and individuals; notifies supervisors of security defects; locks or unlocks buildings.
2. Responds to, provides initial and follow-up investigation into, and reports crimes or incidents that are in violation of State Law, City code or University rules which impact on the safety of the University Community;
3. Takes enforcement action and makes apprehensions as required; completes all necessary documentation including preparation summonses or warrants, affidavits, reports, referrals and arrest paperwork;
4. Notifies supervisors of all enforcement related actions.
5. Preserves crime scenes, collects and preserves evidence, identifies and interviews witnesses, suspects and victims of criminal incidents, assists other law enforcement and security officers in investigations.
6. Prepares and presents or assists in presentation of cases in courts or other official proceedings;
7. Performs traffic direction and crowd control duties as assigned;
8. Renders first aid; transports sick, injured or otherwise disabled persons.
9. Assists visitors, students and staff by providing information, directions, and assistance;
10. Supervises other police officers, security officers and/or miscellaneous wage and/or student employees;
11. Participates in training and certification sessions.
12. Inputs, searches and modifies appropriate computerized criminal justice information systems;
13. Performs professional responses to criminal activity in a community-policing environment;
14. Performs other related duties as assigned.
1. Requires a minimum of an Associate’s degree or equivalent credit (minimum 60 credits). Some college work in criminal justice, political science or the social sciences preferred
2. Requires basic computer skills; the ability to communicate effectively and interact well with people of all ages and diverse backgrounds; or any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge skills and abilities.
LAW ENFORCEMENT TEST
Most law enforcement agencies require candidates to pass a qualification exam.
JobTestPrep offers custom made PrepPacks
1. Possession of a valid motor vehicle operator’s license;
2. Must be able to be commissioned as a Police Officer for Delaware State University;
3. Must pass a pre-employment drug screening test as well as a battery of pre-employment tests designed to measure mental skills, motor skills, writing skills and physical fitness and agility applicable to law enforcement officers and a comprehensive background investigation including driving records, financial status and criminal history.
4. Successful completion of mandatory police training in the State of Delaware or equivalent training acceptable to the Delaware Council on Police Training within the first year of employment is required.
5. Must submit to a training/salary reimbursement agreement;
6. Must be 21 years of age. Random and on demand drug testing is a condition of employment and a minimum of 3 years is required after attendance of off campus basic police training. Shifts may vary upon the demand for service.
7. Must pass/agree to routine physical fitness and agility test.
The examples of work are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties assigned to this position.
Note: The University reserves the right to change or reassign job duties as provided in policy and negotiated agreements.
Delaware State University is an equal opportunity, Title IX Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, marital status, age or disability.