Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and
communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the
future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a
variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our
passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our
priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
ready to join our team?
Performs general police duties, processes and operations for the protection of
life and property and enforces federal, state and local laws, prevents crime and
preserves peace in a railroad surface transportation environment.
• Responsible for the safety and protection of all persons, including
passengers, employees and property
• Performs patrol duties on foot and in a police vehicle for prolonged periods
• Performs security and safety activities at incidents, including, but not
limited to, derailments, floods, fires, hazardous material incidents, special
trains, and company functions involving railroad property and responsibility
• Responds to call for service and assistance, identifies hazards and takes
proactive steps to resolve problems
• Arrests and detains offenders, conducts thorough preliminary and follow-up
investigations to solve crimes and reduce criminal opportunities, conducts
searches and seizures and serves warrants
• Effectively deals with individuals under various circumstances to resolve
disputes and neutralize hostilities, mediates disputes; assists individuals who
are sick and need assistance, administers first aid when necessary
• Maintains proficiency and safely operates police equipment, including
vehicles, computers and weapons, including a firearm
• Communicates verbally in person and by radio; presents testimony and evidence
in administrative, civil and criminal proceedings; maintains open line of
communications with law enforcement and criminal justice agencies, internal and
external partners, as necessary or when directed
• Records information and prepares a variety of detailed reports with clearly
organized thoughts and conclusions
• Reads, interprets and applies federal, state and local laws and regulations,
railroad and department policies and procedures
LAW ENFORCEMENT TEST
PREPARATION:™ to help
you prepare for your upcoming exam.
Most law enforcement agencies require candidates to pass a
JobTestPrep offers custom made PrepPacks
Start practicing for your Law enforcement test here! These
guides will help you pass the exam and outperform your competition.
• Must be able to pass all components of the police application process,
a written examination, a physical agility test meeting the following standards:
Bench Press: 57% of applicant’s weight; Illinois Agility run: 20.6 seconds; 300
meter run: 92 seconds; push ups: 12; and 1.5 mile run: 19:45 minutes; a job
related physical examination; a psychological examination and an in-depth
• Ability to obtain a railroad police commission from state of primary
assignment or applicant’s state of residence
PREFERRED WORK EXPERIENCE:
• Current related experience as a police officer or similar law enforcement
• Must be 21 years of age
• Must possess a valid driver’s license at time of appointment
• An Associates Degree or 60 credit hours from an accredited college or
certificate of successful completion of a basic police training program at a
state authorized training academy
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
Requirements: High School/GED
Requirements: Up to 25%
Experience Requirements:1 - 3 years of experience
employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than
a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and
rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits
that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes
and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and
pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is an equal opportunity employer and all
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to
race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected
veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have
an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.