Location: Philadelphia PA
Industry: Protective Service
Occupational Category: Law Enforcement
As a current employee
you know Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we
move America’s workforce toward the future. The safety of our passengers, our
more than 20,000 colleagues, the public and our operating environment is our
priority and the success of our railroad is the result of you.
By living the Amtrak values and actively embracing and fostering diverse ideas, backgrounds and perspectives, together we will honor our past and make Amtrak a company of the future.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
Performs general police duties, processes and operations for the protection of life and property and enforces federal, state and local laws, prevents crime and preserves peace in a railroad surface transportation environment.
• Responsible for the safety and protection of all persons, including passengers, employees and property
• Performs patrol duties on foot and in a police vehicle for prolonged periods of time
• Performs security and safety activities at incidents, including, but not limited to, derailments, floods, fires, hazardous material incidents, special trains, and company functions involving railroad property and responsibility
• Responds to call for service and assistance, identifies hazards and takes proactive steps to resolve problems
• Arrests and detains offenders, conducts thorough preliminary and follow-up investigations to solve crimes and reduce criminal opportunities, conducts searches and seizures and serves warrants
• Effectively deals with individuals under various circumstances to resolve disputes and neutralize hostilities, mediates disputes; assists individuals who are sick and need assistance, administers first aid when necessary
• Maintains proficiency and safely operates police equipment, including vehicles, computers and weapons, including a firearm
• Communicates verbally in person and by radio; presents testimony and evidence in administrative, civil and criminal proceedings; maintains open line of communications with law enforcement and criminal justice agencies, internal and external partners, as necessary or when directed
• Records information and prepares a variety of detailed reports with clearly organized thoughts and conclusions
• Reads, interprets and applies federal, state and local laws and regulations, railroad and department policies and procedures
LAW ENFORCEMENT TEST
Most law enforcement agencies require candidates to pass a qualification exam.
JobTestPrep offers custom made PrepPacks
• Must be able to pass all components of the police application process, including:
a written examination, a physical agility test meeting the following standards: Bench Press: 57% of applicant’s weight; Illinois Agility run: 20.6 seconds; 300 meter run: 92 seconds; push ups: 12; and 1.5 mile run: 19:45 minutes; a job related physical examination; a psychological examination and an in-depth background investigation.
• Ability to obtain a railroad police commission from state of primary assignment or applicant’s state of residence
• Must be 21 years of
• Must possess a valid driver’s license at time of appointment
Current related experience as a police officer or similar law enforcement experience
• An Associates Degree or 60 credit hours from an accredited college or university
• A certificate of successful completion of a basic police training program at a state authorized training academy
Must possess a valid
driver’s license at time of appointment
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
Job Family/Function:Safety & Security
Education Requirements:High School/GED
Travel Requirements:Up to 25%
Employment Experience Requirements:1 - 3 years of experience