Agency: Newport Beach Police Department
Location: Newport Beach CA
Industry: Protective Service
Occupational Category: Law Enforcement
Closing Date/Time: Continuous
Salary: $5,056.13 Monthly
Job Type: Full-Time
$31.82 - $57.15
$2,545.60 - $4,572.00 Biweekly
$5,515.47 - $9,906.00 Monthly
$66,185.60 - $118,872.00 Annually
related community services, carry out special assignments, and patrol an
assigned area. Works an assigned shift and performs various law enforcement
duties including the protection of persons and property, the prevention and
investigation of crimes; the apprehension of law violators; resolves community
problems; maintains community safety and security; controls traffic flow and
enforces State and local traffic regulations.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED: Receives general direction from a Police Sergeant or an assigned Supervisor.
include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Patrol an assigned area to prevent crime, maintain order and enforce laws and regulations;
• Respond to calls from general public and crime victims, traffic hazards; misdemeanors and felony incidents;
• Respond to radio, telephone or computer messages or instructions and complete the assignment;
• Investigate and analyze specific crime cases, make arrests, issue citations and give warnings; performs booking procedures and interviews witnesses to gain information;
• Investigate and prepare reports on offenses, arrests, accidents, and property damage, and administrative matters using a combination of writing and computer skills;
• Analyze, suggest and implement solutions to police problems in an assigned area;
• Control uncooperative subjects;
• Appear in court on and off duty and give credible testimony;
• Transport prisoners;
• Drive a variety of vehicles in a safe and effective manner under a wide range of conditions;
• Use a variety of firearms and weapons in a safe and effective manner in the course of duty;
• Give directions, provide information and arrange for assistance;
• Maintain accurate logs and records of work performed;
• Participate in training seminars, conferences and programs to stay abreast of current crime trends and innovative policing techniques;
• Inspect establishments licensed to serve alcoholic beverages; and
• Perform related duties as assigned.
this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential
function. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge,
skill, and/or ability required.
Basic overview of law enforcement procedures and subjects as taught in the POST Basic Academy.
Learn modern policies and methods of police intervention, investigation and crime prevention methods;
Learn to analyze police problems and develop effective solutions;
Learn civil liability issues in police conduct; and learn rules of evidence and the laws governing the custody of persons;
Respond to needs for emergency service; arrest cooperative and non-cooperative subjects;
Exercise good judgment in dealing with routine and unusual situations;
Perform all the cognitive and physical requirements of the job in a satisfactory manner;
Learn to use only objectively necessary force to control situations and persons, including combative or fleeing suspects;
Learn tactical and officer safety procedures;
Operate a variety of firearms and weapons safely and proficiently;
Learn, comprehend and effectively apply laws, and factual information, including City and department policies, rules and procedures;
Maintain composure and judgment during emergency or tense situations;
Adhere to the high standards of behavior and performance as defined by the organization;
Effectively represent the Department in a variety of community and government settings;
Work extended hours and changing shifts when assigned or required;
Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing;
Appear for work on time;
Follow directions from a supervisor;
Understand and follow posted work rules and procedures;
Accept constructive criticism; and
Establish and maintain cooperative working relationship with those contacted in the course of work.
This position may be required to work overtime hours as needed.
LAW ENFORCEMENT TEST
Most law enforcement agencies require candidates to pass a qualification exam.
JobTestPrep offers custom made PrepPacks
EXPERIENCE & TRAINING AND LICENSE/CERTIFICATE:
A combination of experience and
training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities may be
qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Entry-level: Must have the ability to successfully complete a California POST Basic Academy and the City of Newport Beach Police Department Field Training Program.
Lateral: Must have successfully completed probationary period and Training Program at another law enforcement agency; and must possess current POST Basic certificate.
Training: Equivalent to the completion of twelfth grade. College level coursework or other specialized training in police science, psychology, public administration or related field is highly desirable.
LICENSE OR CERTIFICATE: Possession of a valid California driver's license at the time of appointment.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Minimum age at time of appointment is 20.5 years. Must be a US citizen or permanent resident alien who is eligible for and has applied for US citizenship. Record must be free from conviction of any felony or misdemeanor involving moral turpitude or domestic violence, and from an excessive number of citations for traffic violations. Background history should indicate responsibility, dependability, honesty, integrity, acceptable communication skills, good judgment and the ability to relate well to others. All employees hired after January 1, 1999, shall not smoke or use tobacco products at any time while on or off duty.
Disaster Service Worker: In accordance with Government Code Section 3100, City of Newport Beach Employees, in the event of a disaster, are considered disaster service workers and may be asked to respond accordingly.