Agency: Jefferson County
Location: Birmingham AL
Industry: Protective Service
Occupational Category: Law Enforcement
Job Grade 17
Category New listings , Public Safety and Social Service
Term of Employment
Jurisdiction / Salary Ranges $28-$38,000 annually/$13-$18hr Starting Salary (depending upon jurisdiction)
This position exists within the following jurisdictions: Jefferson County, Birmingham, Homewood, Bessemer, Fairfield, Irondale, Mountain Brook, Trussville, Fultondale, Leeds, Pleasant Grove, Vestavia Hills, Gardendale, Hueytown, Midfield and Tarrant
Purpose of Recruitment To create a hiring register to fill position vacancies within the Merit System of Jefferson County.
If you do not meet ALL of the following necessary
qualifications you will not be eligible for this position. All requirements will
be verified via a thorough background check before being extended an offer.
• Must have no felony convictions.
• Must have no convictions in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year.
• Must have no convictions of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.
• Must not be subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner.
• Must have an honorable discharge if served in the US Armed Forces.
• Must be a citizen of the United States.
• Must have a high school diploma or a G.E.D.
• Must be at least 19 years of age.
• Must have a valid driver’s license.
• Must be in good physical health and physically fit.
The Alabama Peace Officers Standards & Training Commission (APOST) has established requirements for being admitted to the training academy. These requirements are established, in part, based on State and Federal laws and regulations. The necessary qualifications for this job are consistent with these requirements.
LAW ENFORCEMENT TEST
Most law enforcement agencies require candidates to pass a qualification exam.
JobTestPrep offers custom made PrepPacks
**** You are eligible to apply to the Police Officer/Deputy Sheriff announcement approximately once every 12 months.
Next Anticipated Test Date: April 13, 2017
Examples of Duties
• Performs general law enforcement work in protecting
life and property.
• Enforces criminal laws, traffic laws and local ordinances.
• Ensures care and security of jail inmates
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of applicable federal, state and local
• Knowledge of investigative procedures and techniques and police methods, practices and procedures.
• Ability to communicate both orally and in writing.
• Ability to interpret and apply established rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
• Ability to learn the geography of the municipality and surrounding areas.
• Ability to respond to an emergency situation.
• Ability to receive and follow instructions from higher ranking officers.
• Ability to establish and maintain working relationships with supervisors, other law enforcement personnel and the general public.
• Ability to restrain individuals.
• Skill in the use of hand-eye coordination and manipulative skills in the use of fingers and limbs.
• Skill in the use of firearms.