Salary: $57,832.00 - $89,640.00 Annually$27.80 - $43.10 Hourly $57,832.00 - $89,640.00 Annually
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Number: 201600030
Police Officers are charged with tasks and responsibilities relating to maintaining order, protecting life and property and upholding the laws of the State of Maryland and the ordinances of the City of Rockville.
Essential Job Functions
· Conducts assigned patrols, whether on foot or by vehicle, throughout the City for the purpose of preventing, detecting or responding to criminal acts.
· Answers calls from citizens for assistance or protection of their life and property.
· Conducts investigations and gathers evidence in cooperation with other law enforcement personnel and the State's Attorney's Office in connection with incidents of criminal activities.
· Makes arrests of persons charged or suspected of criminal activities and does so in a manner that protects the rights of the accused, the rights and safety of the general public as well as the safety of themselves and other Officers.
· Detects violations of traffic regulations, and issues warnings and citations as necessary to insure the safety of the public and the free flow of movement on public ways.
· Responds to reports of traffic accidents, insuring the proper assistance is obtained for injured individuals and that the causes are investigated and issue appropriate citations.
· Makes inspections of assigned vehicle and equipment daily and reports any defects.
· Maintains personal equipment in proper order.
· Assists in crime prevention efforts as directed.
· Performs various duties and tasks related to special assignments as necessary.
· Performs other related duties.
LAW ENFORCEMENT TEST
Most law enforcement agencies require candidates to pass a qualification exam.
JobTestPrep offers custom made PrepPacks
Must be a United States citizen; be 21 years of age or older at the time of appointment as a Police Officer; have a high school diploma or a GED equivalent (higher degree preferred); be in excellent physical and mental condition, as determined by a comprehensive examination; be able to pass a background and security check; possess a valid driver's license and be able to obtain a Maryland Driver's license; and be able to pass a written police examination. Individuals with prior experience as a police officer may be given preference.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Comprehensive knowledge of the principals and practices of police work, including fingerprinting, investigation techniques, arrest procedures, communications, and City, State, and Federal laws.
· Working knowledge of the geography, street locations and numbering system, and of the principal buildings in the City.
· Some knowledge of law enforcement agencies and of their methods of operations, responsibilities, limitations and relations with other governmental jurisdictions.
· Some knowledge of personal rights and of the requirements and procedures involved in police work.
· Ability to observe situations analytically and objectively and to record them clearly and completely.
· Ability to deal courteously but firmly with the general public while under difficult and contentious circumstances.
· Ability to make decisions recognizing established precedents and practices, and to use resourcefulness and tact in meeting new problems.
· Ability to act quickly and calmly in often dangerous circumstances.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the general public.
· Ability to apply modern practices and techniques involving the investigation, arrest, detention or treatment of persons.
· A high level of skill in the care and use of firearms.
· A high level of skill in the operation of motor vehicles.
· Ability to write clearly and concisely.