Salary: $46,938.00 - $66,816.00 Annually$46,938.00 - $66,816.00 Annually
Job Type: FULL-TIME
Job Number: 3211 O 2015/10/02 C
46,938 to $66,816
1. Some positions may be entitled to additional negotiated compensation for MOU provisions, such as some shift assignments, authorized bi-lingual pay, and assignment location.
2. The current salary range is subject to change. You may confirm the starting salary with the hiring department before accepting a job offer.
3. Candidates from the eligible list are normally appointed to vacancies in the lower pay grade positions.
A Detention Officer is an unarmed civilian employee of the Police Department who processes arrestees, including booking, fingerprinting, and maintaining custody and control. ALL positions include duties which require the ability to type using a computer keyboard.
LAW ENFORCEMENT TEST
Most law enforcement agencies require candidates to pass a qualification exam.
JobTestPrep offers custom made PrepPacks
1. Graduation from a high school or the equivalent as established by the G.E.D. test; and
2. Six months of full time paid experience as a security guard, security officer, law enforcement officer, correctional officer, traffic officer, or park ranger, which provides experience safeguarding objects, materials, or people; or
3. Six months of experience as a police explorer, police cadet, police aide, Police Student Worker (with the City of Los Angeles), or Community Police Aide (with the City of Los Angeles); or
4. Six months of full-time service, with satisfactory performance, in the United States Armed Forces or one year as a reservist in the United States Armed Forces or as a member of the National Guard, with satisfactory performance, that includes completion of basic training and military school; or
5. Completion of 12 semester or 18 quarter units from an accredited college or university; or
6. Completion of the Los Angeles Police Academy Magnet School Program.
1. In addition to the regular City application that includes a job preview, all applicants must complete the Preliminary Background Application (PBA) at the time of filing. Applicants who fail to submit the application, job preview and PBA within the time required will not be considered candidates in this examination and their application will not be processed.
2. The PBA will help you determine whether your background is suitable for the position of Detention Officer.
3. Prior to appointment, a thorough and comprehensive Background Investigation will be conducted by the Los Angeles Police Department. The information provided in your PBA will be referenced during this investigation. You must not have a history of criminal or improper conduct, including any felony convictions. You must not have poor employment, military, or driving records which would affect your suitability for law enforcement work. You must have a responsible financial history. You must have displayed a pattern of respect and honesty in your dealings with individuals and organizations. You must be fingerprinted and have no disqualifying record of law violations or other improper conduct. Potentially disqualifying violations or conduct include convictions for more than one minor offense within the past year.
4. Candidates may be required to undergo a DRUG and ALCOHOL screening test, based on City policy.
5. A valid California driver's license is required. Applicants will be disqualified and not eligible for hire if their record within the last 36 months reflects three or more moving violations and/or at-fault accidents, or a conviction of a major moving violation (such as DUI).
In accordance with Charter Section 1010 (b) and Civil Service Rule 5.31, selective certification will be used for some positions that require special skills and/or training. Only persons possessing the following at the time of filing may be considered for appointment to fill such positions:
The ability to speak a language other than English.