Agency: Los Rios Community College District
Location: Sacramento CA
Industry: Protective Service
Occupational Category: Law Enforcement
Job Posting Title Police Officer
Posting Number C00034P
The Los Rios Community College District is a two-year public college district serving the greater Sacramento region. Our district includes American River, Cosumnes River, Folsom Lake and Sacramento City colleges; major centers in Placerville, Davis, West Sacramento, Elk Grove, Natomas and Rancho Cordova; and special services for business and industry.
Our colleges offer transfer education – students complete freshman and sophomore years and transfer to a four-year college or university – and AA/AS degrees and certificates in over 70 career fields. The District’s 2400 square mile service area includes Sacramento and El Dorado counties and parts of Yolo, Placer, and Solano counties. Approximately 75,000 plus students are enrolled in our four colleges and outreach centers.
The District office houses a number of district-wide services. These include the Chancellor’s office, Board Room, Legal Services, Business Services, Human Resources, Institutional Research, District Police Department, Resource Development and Information Technology. Other district-wide services which can be found at various locations around the community are the, Facilities Management Department and the Workforce and Economic Development Center. Each department strives for the highest quality in all programs, services, and activities for our communities and staff.
Position Summary Under the direction of the Chief of Police or designee and subject to District regulations and Los Rios Police Department (LRPD) General Orders, provide police services at District locations, protecting life and property using a community-based policing approach that fosters positive public relations; investigating crimes; enforcing federal, state and municipal laws, and District policies and regulations. (For a detailed job description for this Service Employees International Union (Blue Collar) posting Job Descriptions click here)
LAW ENFORCEMENT TEST
Most law enforcement agencies require candidates to pass a qualification exam.
JobTestPrep offers custom made PrepPacks
• Typically assigned to one of the four Los Rios District colleges, patrols District property, both on foot and by vehicle.
• Respond to reports of disturbances.
• Secure scenes for public safety and additional emergency response. Detain suspects. Secure/unlock District facilities in absence of custodial staff.
• Investigate fire/intrusion alarm calls and reset alarms.
• Enforce District policies and regulations, federal, state and municipal laws pertaining to parking, moving violations, and criminal activities.
• Investigate crime; follow rules of evidence; counsel, issue citations and make arrests on District property.
• Provide traffic control.
• Provide services for gatherings, assemblies or other District activities.
• Meet with owners of cited vehicles to discuss citations. Post vehicle abandonment notices and contact vendor for tow away.
• Appear in court. Conduct regular surveys of parking lot and inner-campus night lights.
• Report facility/grounds issues to the dispatch center.
• Maintain and perform minor repairs to daily parking meters.
• Secure District property.
• Maintain public safety on District property. Transport and process individuals at appropriate detention facility.
• Serve and enforce court orders and suspension notices.
• Advise public on use of facilities and direct unauthorized groups/individuals to depart District property.
• Render emergency first aid and CPR.
• Refer student code of conduct and equity violations to appropriate officials and attend hearings.
• Respond to accidents and illnesses on District property.
• Transport ill or injured students or staff to appropriate location.
• Assist with collection and transport of revenues.
• Provide safety escorts.
• Perform vehicle jump starts and unlocks.
• Respond to calls on elevator problems.
• Receive, take and hold for safe-keeping all recovered, found or abandoned property.
• Deliver recovered property to Lost and Found.
• Promote public relations. Service as members of the District committees. Conduct presentations.
• Prepare a variety of reports, documents, and correspondence.
• Document statements from relevant parties. Document accident and incident scenes through use of appropriate audio/visual equipment.
• May oversee temporary employees and volunteers.
• Perform related work as required.
Work Year 12 month
Work Schedule 7:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., Monday – Friday
Hours and days subject to change.
Total Hrs per Week/Day 40 hrs/week
Special Requirements Must be 21 years old. Possess and maintain a valid California Driver’s License in compliance with Los Rios Board Regulation R-8343; employment is contingent upon meeting the requirements of Los Rios Board Regulation R-8343. This position may require operating a District or personal vehicle in order to complete assigned work within the scope of the position duties. Possess and maintain a valid first aid certificate issued by an authorized agency and a valid cardiopulmonary resuscitation certificate within 30 days of a conditional offer of employment.
Minimum Qualifications EXPERIENCE: None
EDUCATION: Meet the requirements of applicable Government Code Sections, including but not limited to, sections, 1029, 1030, and 1031. Successful completion of a basic academy, or equivalent, certified by the commission on Police Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.), license to carry firearms, and meet all POST Peace Officer Selection Requirements by the date of hire.
Have sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical or learning disabilities as it relates to differences in learning styles.