Agency: Columbia Police Department
Location: Columbia SC
Industry: Protective Service
Occupational Category: Law Enforcement
This position participates in a supervised training program involving orientation, instruction, and on-the-job training on the principals, practices, procedures, and techniques of police work; performs varying non-law enforcement tasks; and serves as community safety officer in designated communities of the city. The incumbent works within a general outline of work to be performed, assigned to various areas of the Police Department, and develops work methods and sequences under general supervision.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
· Performs high visibility community patrol efforts;
· Works within various units of the police department such as traffic unit, crime scene, investigations, TRU, and regional operations;
· Shadows officers within their perspective units of assignment;
· Performs duties related to crime prevention and community relations efforts. Attends neighborhood meetings to enhance community relations and to offer information to citizens concerning general awareness and personal safety;
· Assists in identifying community safety problems, using both traditional and nontraditional approaches that involve citizens and community resources in a problem solving partnership that tailor services to the needs of the individual community;
· Establishes and maintain cooperative working relationships with business owners and community leaders;
· Aids in crime prevention efforts by conducting property surveys;
· Check on the elderly regularly and during inclement weather;
· Conducts house checks;
· Directs traffic in non-emergency situations and for parades and other special events;
· Collects information and feedback on city services and programs;
· Keeps abreast of federal and state laws and ordinances of the City of Columbia;
· Attends required periodic training sessions and seminars;
· Interacts and communicates with various groups and individuals such as the immediate supervisor, co-worker, other department personnel, dispatchers, community groups and the general public;
· Participates in special functions as assigned;
· Performs routine services duties, including but not limited to escorting city officials, monitoring traffic conditions and providing security at selected events as assigned;
· Performs duties as school crossing guards;
· Prepares and submits detailed work records and reports;
· Performs general clerical work as required, including but not limited to preparing reports and correspondence, entering and retrieving computer data, copying and filing documents, sending and receiving faxes, answering the telephone, etc.
· Maintains assigned equipment and vehicle;
· Receives and responds to citizens inquiries, complaints, and requests for assistance;
· Maintains required physical fitness and required level of proficiency in the use of assigned equipment;
· Responds to calls for service and prepares incident reports involving minor incidents, ensuring accuracy of information. Submits reports to appropriate authority;
· Collects emergency contact information for businesses and residents (fire, police, reverse 911); and
· Performs other related duties as assigned.
LAW ENFORCEMENT TEST
Most law enforcement agencies require candidates to pass a qualification exam.
JobTestPrep offers custom made PrepPacks
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS TO PERFORM WORK:
· High school diploma or GED;
· No prior experience;
· Must be between 18 and 20½ years of age;
· Valid South Carolina Class “D” Driver’s License.
The work is considered medium-to-heavy in nature and involves walking, standing, running, climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and lifting, pushing or pulling objects, and also involves exerting between 20 and 50 pounds of force on a recurring basis and 50 to 100 pounds of force on an occasional basis.