Agency: Durham Police Department
Location: Durham NC
Industry: Protective Service
Occupational Category: Law Enforcement
Closing Date/Time: Fri. 02/24/17 11:59 PM Eastern Time
Salary: $41,659.00 - $64,970.00 Annually
Job Type: Full time with benefits
Range: $41,659 to $49,990 (dependent on education and experience)
After one year of employment, employees in this classification may be eligible for an incentive package of up to 8% in salary increases.
The Forensic Services Division of the City of Durham Police Department is seeking highly qualified individuals to serve as non-sworn Crime Scene Investigators. The Forensic Services Division is a premier crime scene and forensic investigative unit offering crime scene, crime lab, and property & evidence services to the residents of the City of Durham. The Forensic Services Division is accredited by the ANSI-ASQ National Accreditation Board (ANAB) and the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA).
Crime Scene Investigators assist law enforcement personnel in the investigation of criminal cases. Work involves documentation, collection and preservation of physical evidence found at crime scenes; fingerprinting and fingerprint analysis; extensive photography; physical evidence examination and analysis; packaging, preserving, and storing evidence; maintaining chain of custody; extensive note-taking and report writing; and presenting court testimony as an expert witness.
Work is accomplished by responding to crime scenes, documenting findings, collecting and packaging evidence, collecting and comparing fingerprints, taking and maintaining digital images, video analysis, court display preparation, expert court testimony and examining items for additional evidence.
LAW ENFORCEMENT TEST
Most law enforcement agencies require candidates to pass a qualification exam.
JobTestPrep offers custom made PrepPacks
· Collect, document, and preserve evidence at crime scenes and prepare written reports.
· This is physically and psychologically demanding work providing excellent customer service to the residents of the City of Durham.
· The preferred candidate would be highly adaptable to changing on-scene conditions, be able to multi-task duties and responsibilities, and have good time management skills.
· Have a desire to learn new techniques and employ scientific method.
· Employ critical thinking analysis skills.
· Have the ability to work independently without close supervision and demonstrate support for co-workers in the performance of their duties.
· Possess excellent written communication skills.
· Work is performed under the general supervision of the unit/squad supervisor on a formal work schedule which includes nights, weekends, holidays and call-back on a rotating basis.
· Responding to crime scenes and encountering physical evidence including deceased bodies, blood and other biological fluids, employing universal precautions to protect yourself from biological, respiratory and/or chemical hazards, and significant physical demands including standing, walking, lifting, kneeling, reaching, pushing/pulling, crouching, bending, climbing, twisting, and other physical requirements.
· The Forensic Services Division and the Durham Police Department operate as a paramilitary organization with strict policies, rules, regulations, and performance expectations.
Minimum Qualifications & Experience:
· Associate degree in Forensic Science, Criminalistics, Biology, Chemistry, Criminal Justice, or related field from an accredited technical institute, or community/junior college,
· One (1) year work, volunteer or internship experience in crime scene investigation, forensics, or related criminal justice work; or, any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities, and
· Possess a valid North Carolina Class "C" Driver's License or ability to obtain license within 60 days of establishing permanent residence in North Carolina.
Additional Preferred Skills:
· Bachelor's degree in Forensic Science, Criminalistics, Biology, Chemistry, Criminal Justice, or related field from an accredited college or university
· Experience as a full-time crime scene investigator with a governmental agency.
· Have membership in the International Association for Identification or other recognized forensic-related organization.
· Possess a Forensic Certification by the International Association for Identification or other recognized forensic-related organization.
· Have other expertise in areas pertinent to the position of Crime Scene Investigator.