Agency: Georgia Tech Police Department
Location: Atlanta GA
Industry: Protective Service
Occupational Category: Law Enforcement
Job Purpose: Perform a variety of duties related to the protection of life and property, enforcement of criminal and traffic laws, prevention of crime, preservation of the public peace, apprehension of criminals, and calls for service. Perform basic police services in accordance with the mission, goals and objectives of the Georgia Tech Police and in compliance with governing federal and state laws.
· Engage in law enforcement patrol functions by foot, bike or vehicle including rotating shifts and physically checking doors and windows of buildings to ensure they are secure. Conduct visual and audio surveillance.
· Operate a law enforcement vehicle during both day and night; in emergency situations involving speeds in excess of posted limits, in congested traffic and in unsafe road conditions caused by factors such as fog, smoke, rain, ice and snow.
· Effect an arrest, forcibly if necessary, using handcuffs and other restraints; subdue resisting suspects using maneuvers and weapons and resort to the use of hands and feet and other approved weapons in self-defense.
· Exercise independent judgment in determining when there is reasonable suspicion to detain, when probable cause exists to search and arrest and when force may be used and to what degree.
· Prepare investigative and other reports, including sketches, using appropriate grammar, symbols and mathematical computations.
· Perform rescue functions at accidents, emergencies and disasters to include directing traffic for long periods of time, administering emergency medical aid, lifting, dragging and removing people from dangerous situations and securing and evacuating people from particular areas.
· Mediate disputes and advising of rights and processes.
· Gather information in criminal investigations by interviewing and obtaining the statements of victims, witnesses, suspects and confidential informers. Detect and collect evidence and substances that provide the basis of criminal offenses and infractions.
· Perform other related duties as assigned.
· Education: High School/GED or Vocational School Diploma or an equivalent combination of experience and education
· Work Experience: Three to four years of job related experience.
· Certifications: Valid Driver's License; Georgia Peace Officer Standards Training (P.O.S.T.) Certification
· Skills: This job requires excellent verbal and written communications skills; honesty, ability to take action quickly, use independent and sound judgment, and display initiative in applying work methods. Additionally, ability to prepare reports is required.
LAW ENFORCEMENT TEST
Most law enforcement agencies require candidates to pass a qualification exam.
JobTestPrep offers custom made PrepPacks
· Preferred Education: Technical Diploma, Associate degree or two years college course work
· Preferred Work Experience: A minimum of two years continuous service as a GA Tech Police Officer or three years of experience as an explosive detection canine handler with another law enforcement agency.
· Preferred Certifications: N/A
· Preferred Skills: Must have a positive attitude and willingness to work with a small team.
Additional Information: **This position will work and live with the canine. This position must be willing to be on call and work flexible hours. If selected for this position, must attend a five week long Explosive Detection Canine Handler Course hosted by GA Tech Police Department. This course is a requirement regardless of any experience a prospective candidate may have. PHYSICAL DEMANDS. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, walk, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, or operate objects, controls, or tools listed above; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. WORK ENVIRONMENT. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Work is performed primarily in office, vehicles, and outdoor settings, in all weather conditions, including temperature extremes, during day and night shifts. The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts; in high, precarious places; and with explosives and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, extreme cold, extreme heat. Selection process will include a thorough background check of education, employment, criminal and driver history, credit history, psychological and medical evaluation, drug screen, and successful completion of the police academy entrance examination. Availability to work any day and any shift and overtime work required.
Impact & Influence: This position will interact on a consistent basis with: supervisor and co-workers, GT employees, students and campus visitors. This position typically will advise and counsel: GT employees, students and campus visitors. This position will supervise: N/A