Agency: Olympia Police Department
Location: Olympia WA
Industry: Protective Service
Occupational Category: Law Enforcement
Salary: $71,032.00 - $89,689.60 Annually
Job Type: Regular > Full Time
Job Number: 1600002
Special Application Instructions
· Entry Level Police Officer candidates: The City of Olympia uses Public Safety Testing (PST) as the initial step for hiring entry level police officers. Persons interested in applying for police officer positions should visit the PST website at http://www.publicsafetytesting.com/ to begin the process. Payment of a fee is required.
Examples of Duties / Knowledge & Skills
Police Officer - Recruit:
· Requires no prior Police experience.
· Police Officer - Recruits are employed at a rate 10% below step A of the salary range for Police Officer.
· When recruits complete FTO training and are capable of independently performing assigned police duties, they advance to step A of the salary range.
· As a condition of employment Police Officer Recruits are required to attend and successfully complete the law enforcement training academy approved by the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission (WSCJTC) within 6 months of hire.
Examples of Duties:
· Patrols designated area of the City during an assigned shift in a patrol car, on a motorcycle or on foot.
· Responds to calls for police assistance or investigation; establishes and maintains control of persons and traffic at the scene; provides protection of life and property, conducts preliminary investigations, gathers evidence, takes statements, issues citations and makes arrests.
· Prepares written reports in accordance with departmental policies and procedures, including case, complaint and shift reports.
· Appears personally in court and testifies as witness or arresting officer.
· Prepares and presents oral presentations as a public service to schools, community action groups and the general public.
· Punctual, regular and reliable attendance is essential for successful job performance.
LAW ENFORCEMENT TEST
Most law enforcement agencies require candidates to pass a qualification exam.
JobTestPrep offers custom made PrepPacks
Minimum qualifications & Requirements
· Knowledge of the principles and practices of modern police work and the laws governing arrest, custody of prisoners, search and seizure and rules of evidence.
· Knowledge of patrol procedures, criminal investigation techniques, criminal identification and records maintenance.
· Knowledge of court rules and procedures.
· Knowledge of radio procedures.
· Ability to cope with a wide variety of situations with tact, discretion, courtesy and respect for citizen's rights.
· Ability to prepare written reports in an accurate, comprehensive, timely and legible manner.
· Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
· Ability to speak effectively to individuals and groups.
· Ability to maintain composure and take responsible action during stressful or dangerous situations.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with public and enforcement officials, general public and other employees.
· Ability to practice first aid.
· Ability to use and maintain firearms.
· Skill in the safe and effective use of self-defense weapons and methods.
· Demonstrated punctual, regular and reliable attendance is required.
· Police Officer - Recruit: High School graduation or GED equivalent.
· Police Officers must be a U.S. citizen and at least 21 years of age at the time of hire.
· A valid Washington State Drivers' License is required upon employment.
· Successful completion of polygraph and psychological examinations, and criminal background investigation are required prior to hire.
· Ability to meet and maintain physical and health standards is a condition of employment.
· Ability to possess a firearm in accordance with Federal or State regulations is a condition of continuing employment.
· Conviction of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence may result in not being hired or termination of employment as a commissioned police officer.